Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Sockless Sock Bun

Here we go. A tutorial. It's not unique,but when I wear my hair like this, I get so many compliments. It's very much "Jamie style." Little effort and yet attempting to be modern. A variety of messy buns are in. Just not the kind you wore in 7th grade. (Fortunately, I never mastered that look.) All over pintrest, campus, and facebook you can see the "sock bun." I have tried the sock bun and it it just too temperamental for my taste. Also, I like all of my socks, and don't like to keep cutting them up when I lose the one I already cut. Not to mention my arms always feel like they are going to fall off by the time I'm done styling my hair. It's almost as much effort as "doing" my hair. This is not "doing" my hair. This is "I-don't-want-to-wash-my-hair-but-can't-leave-it-down" kind of hair style. It works best if you have texture in your hair, whether your hair is naturally curly or you curled it yesterday, this will work. Mine does not hold if I straightened it the day before, just as a heads up. Try to deal with the poor quality, insufficient lighting, and awkward angles of the photos. It's my first go and I don't have a fancy-shmancy camera. Even if I did, I don't think I would know how to use it properly. Shout out to Juline for taking most of the pictures. One more thing, I don't think any of these pictures reflect my real hair color. And now, without further ado...
I like the bun on almost the top of my head, so flip your head over and tie a high-high ponytail. Baha,the first picture looks like some kind of wild animal, and in the second it looks as if my head and shoulders are just floatin.
Next, fan out your hair 360° like so. There just aren't words to describe the picture on the write. It's like a nest of tarantula's.
Then, take the ends of your hair and wrap it around the ponytail. My hair is quite thick so I can't say I appreciate how difficult this can be with thinner hair. Take a second hair tie and wrap it around, once and twice.
(Ignore my nails. I'm so embarrassed at how terrible they look! I lady I think either isn't wearing polish, or she is wearing polish with no chips. Always.) Now pull from the middle of the bun out. This will make your bun bigger, which is always better. And you can shape it how you like.
Fix what you need to with bobby pins, hair spray to hold in place, and TA-DA! The Sockless Sock Bun! Simple and hip.

No comments:

Post a Comment